Friday, July 16, 2010

That Blasted Built in Desk

Or should I say, "That Blasted Spot We Pile All Our Junk"? UGH. When we built our home up north, we very much made it a point to NOT have a built in desk in the kitchen, knowing just that would happen. But now we don't have a choice and I was determined to make it functional, not just [another] crap-pile.

I put some cork squares on the backsplash to cover their ugliness until we can afford to switch it up. It had to be cut out around the outlet and phone jack, but it works. I used a basket from when the boys were babies to hold folders with tabs, one for each of us, and our family calendar, whatever else. So once school starts, the kids can empty their things into their folder and we know where to look! YAY! No more morning-of-the-field-trip looking for the list of what they're supposed to bring! (Um, I mean, that has never happened here...)


I had this cool glass dry erase board I was originally hoping to use on our backsplash, but drilling through tile to attach it is beyond my capabilities. So now it is on the desk surface to help hide our vomit colored countertop (I say that affectionately). And I can slide art, notices or a calendar under there to keep handy. It also has these cool clips on the sides to clip whatever to the front! So fun. (Yes, that is a Twilight calendar under the glass. I'm one of "them". I just like to look at Kellan Lutz. But I did open it to July so it has the appearance of functionality. hehe)


In the drawer we have our phone lists and grocery list I was able to customize at


As well as stamps, all those sticky notes and so on. Hidden. In a drawer. So we will see if we can keep it under control. Steven was very impressed and happy to see me attempting to organize and make our home functional, not just pretty.



1 comment: