Friday, July 16, 2010

Kitchen Table: Part1

Ok, so I'm a Craigslist junkie. We had this big rectangle table in our kitchen with country-style chairs. They were dark brown wood, as our cabinets are: it was too much dark for me. Plus I felt like we were always bumping into the corners of the table jutting into our walkways. So I got this great table on craigslist, decided last minute the chairs would work, and found a glass top the same size that would finish off the look.

Just need a little spraypaint (for the base to match our current barstools), some sandpaper, black paint, some hand mixed color and a template for the tabletop design (searched those wall lettering sites where you peel and stick designs onto your wall, found some swirls I liked and drew it onto the painted top. Filled in with paint.)

Here's the before picture:

This is what the table painted looks like, I love it but the surface is rough, it was a strange almost sticky surface I had to work with. The glass top will be just the right touch.

Here is the finished table top. I took more templates from some random site, drew the designs I liked onto huge sheets of paper, cut them out and blue-taped them to the back of the glass. Then I used frosted spraypaint so you could see the black tabletop through the swirly pattern. Love it!
Wait a minute, did the table guy guestimate the diameter of his table instead of actally measuring it for me?! Yep, NOT 48" like the glass is....like. he. said. It is only 42" Grrr.
I thought they felt different when I would break my back moving them! So much for my perfect plan. Well, it looks ok I guess, but I will soon find out it is not quite going to work....stay tuned for part 2...and 3....


No comments:

Post a Comment